Blown-up Alfa

The thing I remember most about the blown-up Alfa in The Godfather comes not
from the movie but from a Saturday Night Live sketch about it. Some unknown
SNL scriptwriter must have had a little sensitivity to what was destroyed.

In this particular piece, John Belushi played Don Corleone and Elliott Gould
a psychiatrist. The Don, somewhat tortured, was in a group therapy session
with, among others, Laraine Newman playing an outspoken, blonde bimbo (her
best line, to a Corleone who wouldn't share his thoughts - "Vito, you're
blocking!").

When the Don finally decides to open up, he first acts out the
orange-peel-over-the-teeth scary face. Then, sobbing softly, he begins to
speak: "They killed my son, Santino. They destroyed my son Michael's wife...
and lovely car..."

I guess this is the kind of thing that only clutters the mind of an Alfa
lover.

Bob McKeown
Nashville, TN