164LS wiper assembly

Hello

The windshield wipers of my '94 164LS are not working anymore.  At least
not when I use the switch on the steering column.  The driver's side wiper
arm moves on its own whenever the car is running, or the key is in the "on"
position.  The movement is periodic, happening every minute or so.  The arm
raises by maybe 1/16" stays there for a few seconds and then lowers to its
rest position. I have checked the fuse, just in case, but it seems ok.  Any
clues as to what may be wrong?

Thanks

Spiros
'94 164LS