164 washer fluid warning

Re: Rich Lasner's 164's washer fluid warning

On my now-sold 164, the foam float had deteriorated 3 years ago and
become washer-fluid-logged.  I chose to try to fix it (this being
even within my checkbook-mechanic level of competence).  It did take
wheel and liner removal to get to it.  It still wasn't fun to wiggle
out or back in.  It holds an enormous amount of fluid; look for a
*big* bucket to siphon it into first.

I made a replacement float out of 5 pieces of Styrofoam, forming a
rounded, roughly pentagonal shape around the rod that drives the
sensor, keeping it small enough to fit through the original opening.
I recall testing it before gluing to ensure that the amount of
Styrofoam was more than adequate to actually float the sensor.
Finding that I had made not *quite* big enough a float after all that
wouldn't have been fun.  It was still working fine when I sold the car
years later.  There's probably a better material, given the alcohol
content, or whatever, in washer fluid.  Better ideas, anyone?

BUT, Rich Lasner is
>"Not sure if I want to list my cars since my last posting brought out the
>worst in my fellow humans"

"the worst in my fellow humans"?
No, that's more like when some moron in a pickup truck or a snort-puke,
pardon me, "sport-ute", careens and bullies his way through traffic,
endangering my child's life and a few others in lower, lesser vehicles
along his way.  I'd skipped reading a few digests; I must have missed
seeing the threats against Rich's life and the lives of his family.

Albert Weaver
ex-'91 164L
ex-local Alfa newsletter editor
still an '88 Spider