Re: More hot air

In a message dated 7/13/99 7:59:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
graham.hilder@domain.elided writes:

<< On this, I think my point's been missed. My question of the free lunch was
not about the rest of us obtaining free knowledge from someone else's study;
no, it was about the reality of obtaining say 13 per cent HP increase in a
standard Alfa motor when changing from hot to cold air intake.  That
particular lunch really would be about as free as they get.  But don't get me
wrong here..... I haven't been saying that it doesn't happen; I've just been
asking for some evidence. (Asking for evidence must be due to some strange
ideas they instilled into us when we did our engineering degrees :-)

Graham,

Although it was not on an Alfa, I had an experience that demonstrated the
difference of power output of hot vs. cold air. Back in the 70's I owned a
1971 Simca 1204, it had a single Solex carb on a pushrod 1204cc engine. On
the air cleaner there was a lever that determined from where the air was
drawn. One setting was for winter and the air was taken from around the
exhaust manifold, the other was for spring, summer and fall, where the air
was drawn through the grill. A couple of times I forgot to change over in
spring, and boy could I tell a difference, I'd say the power was cut in half.

John Katos