Glue, gallons, etc.

My 0.02eu on a couple of topics from the last coupla days:

(a) Glue off: 3M makes a stripping wheel that goes on the end of a drill.  Great for
removing old paint, glue, skin.  Much more effective than a sander for removing hard paints,
but use with great care on external paint - may score.

(b) Glue on [c.f. jpardillo, "'RE: gtv-6 COOLANT BOTTLES- Want some?' Personally, I prefer
JB Weld..."] A  better glue for these bottles is plumbers-type solvent adhesive; make sure you get
the kind that says it is for both ABS and PVC.  After the glue has set, you can top with some silicon sealant for extra
waterproofness.  (BTW, I've used this kind of glue with great success to fix
broken laptop computer cases, and now wish I'd thought of it to fix my Spider's wing mirror
mount rather than forking out the $$ to replace.)

(c) Gallons: As I recall, the US gallon is the old UK Victorian gallon, and that
it is the UK that changed.  BTW, an interesting artifact of the EC metrification guidelines
is that the UK has taken them seriously, and metric plumbing fitments are now required in the
residential construction code.  Meanwhile, on the continent - at least Italy - the guidelines are
taken as non-mandatory, and they still use mainly non-metric dimension plumbing
fitments.  (Just had some nasty experiences with both English and Italian household plumbing...)

I'll resist adding my 0.013gbp on some other recent topics (SUV-bashing, Midwest-bashing,
EPA-bashing) other than to say that some 20 years ago I worked for the EPA in the Midwest and
don't recall (a) ever driving a SUV at the time (we still had station wagons in the US in them days,
just drove my 1st Jeep last month when we really wanted to rent a wagon),
or (b) any intra-office conspiracies to either promote or suppress SPICA injection.  I did once
spend a hair-thinning 48 hours collecting evidence in a Ford factory - but that's another story.

- - David R.