Re: glue off painted metal

Dana, that stuff is nasty.  When I took the headliner off my super,
admittedly the glue was 30+ years old, but it was tenacious, and often in
places that were very  hard to access.  Another thing I noticed is that under
the old factory paint, there were little spiders of rust forming on the
metal.  The old interior paint is incredible stuff, just can't sand it off -
by hand or by machine, but it's surface does have little cracks, and moisture
does get in there over time.   I tried adhesive remover, brake cleaner, etc.
- - no joy.  I tried sanding - with a disk sander, and it made some progress,
but I couldn't get into all the crooks and nannys, and it wouldn't leave a
surface you'd want to paint over.  In the end I used a chemical stripper,
brought the overhead to bare metal, and cleaned, rinsed, and repeated a bunch
of times to make sure the metal surface was clean.  Sanded again, then
painted the whole thing.  Actually came out very well.  Any way you do it,
it's a giant, back busting pain in the whaddya callit.  Be patient, and good
luck.

Andy

End of alfa-digest V7 #881