headlight switch fixes

Having failed miserably in my repeated attempts to procure a replacement
headlight switch for my GTV, I am considering wiring up some sort of
accessory switch to bypass the decrepit column switch.  Anyone have any
experience doing something like this?  I only need to be able to turn the
headlights on and off.  The existing column switch works fine in the
"Parking Light" position, i.e. activates dash lights, taillights, parking
lights but in the "Headlight" position, the headlights come on but
everything else goes off.  Any advice, similar situations?  What kind of
switch (capacity, etc.) should I use?

All help greatly appreciated.

Scared of the dark,

Greg Stewart