Re: alfa-digest V7 #864 - Catalysts

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< A reminder to those with catalysts- they fail in 3 ways- over temp,
chemical
 poison, or mechanical break.  This is a combination of over temp and
 chemical poison.  Most older cars will over temp the cats just by their
 rates of misfiring.

 Hope this helps.
 Eric Storhok
 Ann Arbor, MI

	Personally, I find my Catalyst lasts a lot longer if it leave it in
the attic.  I put it on  about fifteen minutes a year for inspection.  The
rest of the year it is not subject to overtemp conditions, nor to burn out
due to mixture problems.  I also refrain from poking around inside of the cat
with a long screwdriver. <grin>
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City