Warm vs Cool air

Hey Gang,

Last week there were a few threads dealing with warm air vs cold air being
sucked into the intake system.
I didn't see a definitive answer, so I'll ask my own question.

While performing some adjustments on my 74 spider, I proceeded to re-install
the air filter and go for a test drive.
During the test drive, I couldn't help but notice a beautiful 'throatier'
sound coming from the engine.
I thought it may have been due to the fuel mixture ajustment I had just
made.
Upon returing home and popping the hood, I noticed that I forgot to replace
the black flexible tubing that joins the large cigarette air filter on the
spica air intake to the front of the car. I put the tubing back, and presto,
the beautiful sound from the engine was gone. Now this change in sound may
simply be a figment of my imagination, but I doubt that.

So my questions are as follows:

1- Has anyone noted the afore-mentionned change in their cars? (ie: am I
totally crazy?)
2- Is there any drawback to drawing in warmer air from the engine bay than
cooler air from outside?

Also, out of curiosity, the clutch pedal on my car is lower than the brake
pedal. Is this normal for a 74 spider?

Thanks in advance
Frank Forlini
74 Spider