Springs/Steering Wheel

Hello, I am wondering what product to use to get the varnish off my
steering wheel.  It seems impervious to a number of products that
guarantee to remove all types of paint and varnish.  I have gotten some
of it of by chipping it from the edges where the varnish was cracked but
I am worried about marring the wood.

I also would like to replace my rear springs.  Do I need compressors or
can I just undo the shocks and sway bar and lower the whole rear end and
then just pull the springs out?  I would then put the new ones in and
jack the rear end back up.

Jose Trejo
Seattle, WA
73 Spider