Spider top R/R

Hey All,
I was a good boy and helped a fellow alfisti remove the convertible top on
his '81 Spider.  It came off quite well, not too many broken off studs along
the rear.  He has bought a Caribou top and we will install it within a week
or two.

We notice the new top has the fabric for the front header, but not the
padding.  The condition of the old front header is not super and does need
new padding.  What's the best way to accomplish this?  We can remove the old
fabric and use that as a template to cut the new fabric with.  Should we
just insert some foam around the metal header and wrap it in the new fabric?
I'm referring to the metal header as the removable piece, held in by nice
large securing pins and e-clips, that mates the two sides of the top
together.  The metal header seals against the windshield.

Steve S.
Seattle, WA
NWARC

End of alfa-digest V7 #862