Re: 164LS Temp Readings/Fan

I know that this subject has been somewhat extensively dealt with, but
with this beastly heat in New England, I seem to be having a problem, or
maybe not.  First, what is a hot reading (obviously the temp light is
not on) on the LS?  The temp. gauge is not really accurate to get a
reading, and there is merely a white mark towards (but not all the way
to) the 230 mark, which I interpret as around 215 or so.  Is a temp. in
this range in slow traffic/at idle a problem?

Second, and the more important question, in the 100 degree heat, when I
run the car at idle with the temp. gauge in this area, the radiator fan
is not running at all!!   I know that there are two fan speeds, and once
I noticed that as the gauge got a little higher the fast speed kicked
in, but no slow speed.  Is this the problem with the resistors that I
have read about here?  If so, how do I check it?  I also notice that if
I engage the a/c, the fan still does not come on.  My past experience
has been that if I put the a/c on, the fan also kicks on.

I want to be confident driving the car, and not worry about overheating
in traffic, so please help.  Thanks.