Milano Water Pump & Timing Belt

I just finished my initiation in replacing a failed water pump on my '87
Milano and installing a new timing belt in the process.  Everything went
fairly smooth, it's straight forward, just takes awhile.  Longer than I
expected.

When I removed the valve covers I found the both cam marks approximately
1/8" off from the marks on the caps.  Reading the manual, I was under
the impression that I could adjust the cams independent of the cam
sprockets.  However, the sprocket is keyed to the cam and therefore
can't be adjusted, which was confirmed by replies to my digest posting
on the subject.  When reassembling, I was able to install the belt with
all the markings lined up, so either the previous owner goofed up, or
the belt had slipped.

During all this I discovered that I had one of Zat's "Staybelt Manual
Belt Tensioner," as illustrated on page 115 of Branden's "Owner's
Bible."  I called Alfa Heaven and had them fax me the instructions for
adjusting it.  The tensioner seems very simple, too simple?  I'm
planning on keeping it installed instead of switching to the bi-metal,
heat sensitive upgraded Alfa one.  Does anyone have any comments on
this?  Is it OK to keep the totally manual tensioner?

Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
87 Milano Platinum

End of alfa-digest V7 #859