Re: T-belt Tensioner on 164 etc.

> >From: Mastro Subaru / Alfa Romeo Of Tampa <mastro@domain.elided>
>  AlfaBill & Sofia the 168
> >(enjoys the noise every morning-new t-belt and tensioner, belts etc...)
>
> Hey Bill-
>
> Just returning from a quick 4-state trip (500-mile) trip with the 164.
> Everything running great - damn, it feels great to wring this thing out
> again.  Quick question for you...  What kind of shape was your tensioner
> in?  Increasingly, I'm hearing about failures, which is why I've switched
> back to the old style in a fixed setting (without the oil feed).

I would recommend changing the tensioner unit every second belt, (70K in
my case,) as mine was working fine but was starting to make noise if you
spun it by hand, which is an indicator that the bearing was tired (but
not loose). Otherwise it was fine, spring good, no sign of any problem
after some hard and high rpm usage. Changeover takes 5 minutes.

We have had no failures here. I wonder if installers adjust it wrong. If
it is purchased at an Alfa dealer, it has a 6 month warranty, installed
at one, 1 year. So if it breaks in that time, Alfa covers it. I like the
fact that there is some "give" in the OEM unit

I also carry a CarDisc available with the tensioner install video.

AlfaBill
- --
M a s t r o  M o t o r s -
Wholesale Internet Parts for Alfa Romeo & Subaru
http://mastroalfa.com/parts.htm
http://mastrosubaru.com/parts.htm