more on oil (viscosity)

I really don't want to drag this on longer, but I have a question regarding
multi-viscosity oils, which might interest others.  If I am correct,
multi-viscosity oils are for multiple temperature ranges.  The first number
(10, from 10W30) represents the weight of the oil at the lower temp range and
the second number represents the weight at the higher temp range.  Is this
correct?  So, hypothetically, at -10 degrees F the oil is as thin as 10W oil
and at 100 degrees F the oil is as thick as 30W oil.   What about in-between
temps?  Would the oil be like a 20W oil at 30 degrees F?  Also, if one lives
where the temp rarely drops below 40 degrees F (Miami) and a vehicle calls for
10W30 for temps between -20 F and 100+ F, would it be wise to run just
straight 30W oil?  Is there a need for the multi-viscosity oil since the temp
is always warm?

Just wondering?

Rob Murphy
90 Spider