AC installed by who?

In AD7-846 Jerry Lewis writes "Up until, I think, the Milano all Alfa a/c
here in the US was installed by the importer/dealer.  Considering the times
and technology the quality if the installation is open to question, but
definately not up to todays standards."

I don't disagree with anything else he says on the subject, but I believe
that the mediocre systems used on the 2000 GT Veloces and Alfettas were
installed at the factory. Certainly all of the special parts used on the
air-conditioned Eurospec GT Veloce and US-spec GT Veloce I have are
identical. In addition, while most of the parts numbers for the various
Alfetta air-conditioning systems have 116 part numbers, most of those
indicate first use on European Alfettas (116.08, 116.18, 116.47, 116.55),
while an appreciable number have 105.48 or 105.12 prefixes, indicating first
use of those parts on Eurospec 1750 Berlinas and 2000 Berlinas respectively.

While it would not be impossible for the importer or a dealer to install the
European parts here, it seems rather unlikely. Certainly inefficient. In any
case, the engineering of the relatively heavy and crude-looking brackets used
to hang the compressors off the heads was Milanese, not US aftermarket.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.