trunk agape + best auto book + rallies !

Fellow mavens;

for edification, my trunk saga:

I thank several of "yous" for helping me with the trunk problem in my 74
Spider (cable broke at the latch release mechanism inside the trunk).
Suggestions ranged from looking for a rigged secondary cable behind the
license plate, in the parcel shelf, and other contingencies installed by the
previous owners. I was not so lucky.
Next, I tried to access the hole under the valance and pop open the trunk.
Could not find it, did not see, did not know what I was doing. Like a virgin
on prom night. Not to mention that my car cover was in the trunk, further
obscuring things (no dead body, though).
Finally, per another digester email, I took off the material (few screws)
from the vertical section of the rear parcel shelf and unscrewed a small
cover plate that allowed entry into the trunk through the body metal. I
duct-taped a big screwdriver to a broom stick and popped the trunk open
(there was quite a bit of tension). The cable broke right at the metal latch
(by the whole).

- ----------------------------

Best auto book ever, IMO:

I have finally received the best auto book ever. Well, I bought a book by
Reinhard Klein called "Rallies". It weighs about 8 lbs, covers most of my
coffee table, and is loaded with the most artful photos of men (some women,
like Michelle Mouton) and cars. While it is dedicated to rallies, it would
make a great gift to any auto enthusiast because of the quality of the color
photographs, it is photojournalism at its best. I have spent hours ogling
Lancia Stratos, Alpines, Saabs, Abarths, and all the group B wonders racing
through the mud, snow, crashing, and jumping dunes five feet away from the
curious local mobs. The routes, the drivers, and the cars are covered in
English, French , and German. Amazing.
No commercial interest, but I found it on sale at
Http://www.rallysportonline.com  (it was 40 there, 50 at classic motorbooks)

- ------------------------------

regarding Rallies:
Thanks again to all who replied to my post. I will be attending a rally
school, an SCCA symposium and a newbie CSR race in March of next year (in
Nevada). In the meantime, I will enter whatever street rally events I can
find to get good at the whole time to distance thing with my lovely wife,
the navigator. It would be nice if the local clubs organized a rally. For
those interested, in CA in particular, I found these links:

California Rally Series:
http://iis.dai.net/AdCast/382297/N01.html?http://californiarallyseries.com

SCCA Rally page
http://www.scca.org/amateur/prorally/index.html

Rally Sport Net:
http://rallysport.net/

and a good reference from Ben's rally page:
http://www.cwl.com/bensrallypage/

thx
luke, San Mateo, CA

74 Spider, 82 GTV6 3.0s, 95 164 LS, 99 Audi A6 Q