Spider Starting

On and off digest I've had some help. Here's the latest on my Spider
starting problems...

Thought it was the main relay due to many a checks. Key was not hearing the
fuel
pump after all the TBS guide help. Replacement without further checking was
a waste of
money ... new relay but same problem. Back into the bowels of the machine
and once
removing the connection to the main pump and delivering straight 12V proved
that the
pump wasn't operating. Cycled power a couple of times and it came on full
steam. It
seems to have been jammed as the fuel pump operates with some reliability
now (will
replace as it is a problem waiting to keep me at the side of the road).  The
car started
immediately after reconnecting the pump and a 20km test drive proved some
reliability.

I have to admit that I was perplexed with the manual and the varied digest
help. Specifically
that the pump should start to operate with the key in the ON position PRIOR
to starting.
Mine doesn't and still doesn't but the car is operating fine now. The only
good news is
that it has been quite rainy and overcast for the last couple of days and I
wouldn't have
been driving it anyway. Weather looks good and the new fuel pump will be on
order soon.

Cheers,
Barry
'89 Spider