Peter Audet's Spica problems

Peter, this might be only a two way conversation, but perhaps others
might be interested.

[Peter asks: ...any ballpark estimates for this
rebuild? I will check with Wes Ingram on this, too. I REALLY want to
test
this motor, even if only for a few minutes (non driving): Will a short
test
ruin my oil change or worse still, my engine? The thermostatic actuator
is
not working (broken tube), would that add even more gas (full rich)?]

Based on a one-time experience, change oil and filter in your car before
starting it. Leave it at least one quart low (for the inevitable gas
adding to its volume). I wouldn't get too aggressive with the engine,
but you're probably safe for 30 to 50 miles - you can get up to speed,
but again don't nail it while doing so.

There are other Spica rebuilders, but Wes consistently markets himself
by giving talks at Alfa meetings (no doubt  at BMW and Porsche ones
too). I also suspect he has gone about diagnosing and rebuilding of the
units in the most scientific / sophisticated manner.

I'll be sending up a unit to Wes in the next few weeks myself. I'm
guessing $650 but he might say differently.

Fred Di (or Wes) can better answer the question regarding the
Thermostatic actuator problem, but suspect it will only add additional
fuel on start up and at idle while the engine is still cold.

Hey, that should be one clean (internally, anyway) engine by the time
you're through;o}

Biba
Irwindale CA