PH7 removal, etc.

Thanks for the helpful ideas for simplifying my next oil change! New filter
is a WIX, $9.24 Can.
The news doesn't sound too good good for my SPICA unit, though, if the gas
in the old oil is an indicator of trouble...any ballpark estimates for this
rebuild? I will check with Wes Ingram on this, too. I REALLY want to test
this motor, even if only for a few minutes (non-driving): Will a short test
ruin my oil change or worse still, my engine? The thermostatic actuator is
not working (broken tube), would that add even more gas(full rich)?
Peter
'74 GT Veloce