Berlina to be registered once more.

Hello,

You might remember me from earlier in the year when I asked for advice with
my purchase of a 1971 1750 Berlina, and later the replacement of the water
pump. Since that time, I have rebuilt the rear brake calipers and driven it
a little on the property on which it is stored. Now that my Mercedes 280SE
3.5 has lost total compression in one cylinder, due most probably to a holed
piston, I have calculated that the cheapest car to put back on the road is
the Alfa. In order to do so, I need to replace the alternator, brake flex
lines, a section of sill and floor, tyres, and give it a full service and
tune. Besides this, and more worryingly, I also need to rebuild the front
suspension. I don't know exactly what needs to be replaced, but there are
some worrying clunks, and when lifted off the ground, the left hub is
somewhat loose. What is there to be changed, and can I expect to pay for the
parts? What else should I keep in mind before taking the car for road
worthiness checks?

Another thing - after I rebuilt the rear calipers, the brake pedal needed a
lot more travel before there was any effect, but the brakes still had
impressive bite. Is this normal? The system was bled, etc, so I assume this
is normal. Could it have something to do with the master?  Something must be
amiss, because after a month of inactivity, I had to move the car only to
find that the front brakes were on solid, and the pedal could be depressed
right to the floor.

Thanks in advance,

    Regards
    Davide Frada