GTV6 ball joint

Hi folks-
 As you may recall, last time I was having trouble trying to get the
sockethead cap screws on my cv joints/axleshafts loose. Thanks for all
you're advice, although I must admit I finally went to my mechanic for
help. I found that a big part of my problem was not being able to get my
car high enough off the ground to properly leverage a breaker bar. Having
the car overhead on a rack was the key to getting those amazingly
tenacious screws loose.

My current project is now dealing with the front end: castor rod bushings,
brakepads, tie-rod ends and one upper ball joint on the drivers side. My
current question involves that ball joint.

After buying a new ball joint, i noticed that the original is actually
riveted to the upper control arm. No problem, just gring the rivets off
and use nuts and bolts to fasten the new one on. Then I got to thinking,
is that safe? Should I try to find someone who can rivet the new one on?
So, I want to run this past you all: what's the standard, time tested and
safe method for fastening on a new ball joint?

Thanks again,
Sebastian Toomey
Atlanta, GA
'82 GTV6