spider door locks

>I just noticed that I can get a new set of door locks from IAP.  Since my
>Spider has a different lock on each door (only one of which I have a key
>for!) this has some serious appeal to me.
>
>My question: how much of a job is it to change the locks myself?  Are there
>any tricks or "trick tools" that would help?
>
>While I'm on this subject, how about the trunk and gas cap lever locks?
>The Spider's PO didn't have the key for these locks.  How bad is it to
>change them?
 -Robert

Robert,

Here's another option.  Check with a local locksmith on how much it would cost
to re-key the three locks to match the one with the key.  This should be a
simple procedure if you bring them all the cylinders and a key.  That might be
cheaper, and labor will be the same.  On my old spiders, the trunk, door and
glovebox keys are the same.  The fuel door isn't locked.

As for disassembly, well... it's the reverse of assembly!  Sorry, I don't know
how to get at the locks on an 87, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck!

Ian Lomax
71 Spider
71 Spider parts car (parts still for sale, the carbs are gone as are other
bits... email with needs)
88 Milano Verde
Ann Arbor, MI
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ilomax/index.html