164 AC strangeness

OK guys (and gals?) try your hand at this one...I have a 91 164L. On hard
right turns the AC makes a loud hiss, almost as if the fan had been switched
to a higher setting. I called the mechanic who usually works on the car. He
claims there's "no connection" between the steering wheel and the AC...well,
guess what, unless there's a gerbil in there with a sensitivity to right
turns, there is a connection...any ideas?

Randy
91 164L