Subject: No more shakes..... an (even more) embarrassing tale

I can go one better...after a few hot laps at Sandown race track at the end
of an AROCA event here in Melbourne last year, I lost the 164Q at the end of
the main straight and had a bit of an excursion into the run off area -
somewhat muddy at the time. No damage (apart from the ego), I just corrected
and was back onto the black stuff.

But I couldn't figure why, next day on the freeway, the Q had a dose of the
shakes as well....it felt like a wheel was out of balance, maybe lost its
balance weight, but I couldn't work out which one - seemed to be coming from
all over. A quick stop and check proved no weights were missing, so what
the...?

Got it later that week to Mille Miglia Motors who put it up on the hoist and
saw the culprit straight away - all the mud that I collect during the off
had sunk down to the lower part of the wheel whilst sitting overnight and
dried, neatly adding half a kilo of weight on one spot on each wheel. A
quick hose down and the problem was fixed.

The moral of the story - clean the inside of your wheels as well as the
outside!

Jim Picot
66 Giulia Super
79 Alfetta GTV