Cromodora Daytonas and Cromodora Daytonas

Responding to my suggestion of the "the original style Cromodora 'Daytona'
star" Scott Fisher wrote "De gustibus, etc.  I'd thought Robin Boyar's
original request was for suggestions that went beyond the ubiquitous, if
appropriate, Daytona wheels".

I would demur, and say that in my neighborhood at least the original
Cromodora Daytonas are rare as hen's teeth, while an Alfa production wheel
that looks similar, at first glance, on a dark night, is indeed ubiquitous.
The original Cromodora from the early seventies, the 14" x 6" CD 35 for
Alfas, and CD 31, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, and 45 for Fiats, Alfasuds, Opels,
Capris, BMWs, Porsches, VW, & Mercedes with various bolt-circles in 13 x
5-1/2 as well as 14 x 6 x sizes all had the five spokes extending out to the
rim, while Alfa in 1982 started using a variant which interposes a deep
trench between a pre-rim and the real rim. Lord knows why, as is often the
case with Alfa's unique ways. Suffice it to say that in some eyes the
difference is vast. The original version (which had a suggested retail price
of $70 in 1975) was out of production for many years, and is now back in
production, being sold by Linea Rossa, IAP and undoubtedly many others for
prices around $225.

I did not mean to insult anyone with my remarks about Minilites and their
Japanese copies. The Minilite is an exemplary piece of rational design,
functional, sensible, strong, light, all the other good adjectives, which the
British can do very well when they do it at all well. My quibble is that the
Italians transcend such mundane objectivity, sometimes falling on their faces
with, at best, extremely charming idiosyncrasies, but at other times
producing a timeless masterpiece. The "Bertone" coupes are in this
masterpiece class, and to my eyes the CD-35 wheel makes the grade also, and
they go together very well. There have been scores of copies and derivatives,
including the '82-up Spider wheel, which don't quite make the cut.

The wheels with round holes with raised lips are the product of a formal
evolution going back to the 6C2300 in the mid thirties, with depressed lips
and squared-off outer perimeters. The raised lip on oval holes appeared
around 1953 on the 1900. There were numerous small variations , triovals and
squared-off kidney shapes through the Giulietta and early Giulia years, but
from the mid sixties until the 1978 Alfetta pure round holes with raised lips
were the standard on steel wheels. It is noteworthy that the early Alfa
alloys followed the steel-wheel patterns, looking as normal as possible
rather than as different as possible, which seems to be the target with many
present-day alloys.

The history of alloys on road cars is out of my realm, but Ferrari was using
alloys with Alfa-like round holes/raised lips in 1965 and the five star
Cromodora in 1967 on the (ta-ta!) Daytona. Alfa's first "cosmetic" or styled
alloy was a Fergat on the 1750 which appears to be identical to the Cromodora
CD 22; conical at the hub, flat face leading out to a dozen rectangular
holes, with a dozen slightly raised ribs across the face. With the 2000 (and
the Montreal) Alfa went to the "Turbina" style, then flirted briefly with a
dished-face Campagnolo and an odd one-year-only multiribbed wheel on the
Sport Sedan at the end of the decade and then on to the familiar GTV-6 wheels
and the trench-rimmed Daytona on the Spider. Just when the CD-35 Daytona
first became available I can't say, but my impression is that in the early
seventies it was the wheel-of-choice, while the four-spoke BWA Sportstars
were popular with those on a tighter budget. It is Robin's choice, anyhow; I
would go with the CD-35, but it isn't my car.

Cheers,

John H.