Re: GT door hinge bushings

chris hall wrote:

>> =

Does anyone have a source for GT/GTV door hinge bushings? When
first presented with worn out door hinges on Beth's 72 GT jr...
I machined new bushings out of Delrin. Now that Beth has the 67,
I have 4 more hinges that have worn out bushings. The lathe is
in storage, while a new shop is built. Does anyone have a source?
<<

IMHO your best bet is new hinges from a '72 to '74 GTV 2000.
These cars have bronze inserts rather than the plastic/rubber
inserts of the 1600 cars.

Another option is to rebush your existing hinges. One Australian
Digester some time ago indicated he had some nylon bushings made
on a lathe. He was able to knock out the old hinge pin and reuse
it. I tried this briefly, but gave up and drilled out the pin =

thinking the life of the hinge was at stake.

I took a slightly different approach. At many auto-parts stores
they sell door hinge rebushing kits for GM and Chrysler cars.
I found a Motormite kit (part # 38400) at AutoZone for $3.99
that was a pretty good fit for rebushing the hinges on my '66
Giulia Sprint GT. (These parts are on red hang cards labeled
"HELP!") You need one kit per hinge and you do need to drill
out the hinge a bit to accommodate a larger pin. This approach
works OK so far, but the new bushings (bronze) total only 16mm
in length, where the old plastic bushings were 32mm long. (The
hinge cavity is 36mm long).

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano