Re: Drain Plugs in the Round AD #798 another opinion

I have a theory why the plug got rounded.  The little aluminum washer was
not changed.

I had the same thing happen on a Honda- the first time I tried to change the
oil, I could not get the plug off, so I went to my friendly garage, and he
use a really big set of vice grips...  Anyway, he told me that he had seen
it before on other Honda's, and what happened is that the owner or shop that
did the oil change kept re-using the aluminum washer.  After a while they
would deform, and not seal as well- solution- tighten.  With a impact
wrench.

My guess is that the oil shop saw a small dribble (couple of drops) and
tightened the plug until it went away.  Thus destroying the plug.

I've changed the one on my GTV a couple of times- its a good idea to get a
fresh washer every so often.  I bet if it looks clean and smooth, its ok,
but when the first sign of deformation or shredding- change it.

Just an opinion.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI