re: debugging the L-Jetronic

Again, thanks for all the good suggestions. I seem to be making good
progress.

I spent a bit of time testing last night. I've discovered that

- - the thermo-time sensor is working perfectly.
- - the Cold Start Valve seems to be working well, although it's
  difficult to judge whether the output is the properly fine
  mist it ought to be.
- - the wiring between them is in good condition.
- - there are no air leaks of any kind that I can discover.

New behavior showed up yesterday afternoon and this morning: drastic
surging for a short period at 1/4 or greater throttle, followed by a POP
from under the hood, then smooth running again. Hmm.

I called my mechanic today. "That surging sounds like the Air Flow Meter
is sticking to me. The one that was on there was a bit sticky when we
first got it running. I cleaned it up and it seemed to be working
smoothly, but I have a known good one in my personal stash if you want to
try it." I drove up and bought his spare, installed it this evening.
Definitely an improvement ... with the one I had, it often felt a little
uneven in response. With this one in, it idles and revs more smoothly,
responds more evenly to the throttle.

Only bit left (auxiliary air device) I can only check with the engine
cold, so that will wait 'til tomorrow morning. If I still get the stumble
on cold starting, I'll swap in the used one I ordered from APE today. (I
figured at $20 it was worth it anyway.)

I'm ruining my reputation as a checkbook mechanic, I'm sure. ;)

Godfrey