Newbie needs advice...

Group,
   I have an '81 Alfa Romeo Spider with a problem. My car has a warm
starting problem. When Starting the car cold it is ok. When I start it warm
or when it is sitting in the direct sun my car stumbles and has a hard time
maintaining idle. It also shoots out a little white smoke.  I found out
there is no vacuum going to the EGR valve or TVS. But I guess my main
question, short of any ideas this might be, is that my electronic vacuum
switch was disconnected electrically from the circuit. I re-attached and my
car would not start. If the switch is bad would it prevent my car from
starting? When I disconnected , my car fired right up.  Would the electronic
vacuum switch be the reason my EGR valve has no vacuum, and also the
stumbling?

Thanks,
Larry Wells
'81 Alfa Romeo