Water pump woes -- and questions about tensioners and cams

Whilst fitting a new water pump to my GTV6 today, I'm overcome with
the desire to repeat myself (venting to the Digest is good for the
soul sometimes.) Anti-seize compound -- buy it, use it, always!!!

Everything was going according to plan...belts off, timing belt
off...ok. Then the first stumble: the distributor pulley. The nut was
more-or-less corroded in place. Frankly I think the necessary amount
of force would have snapped the little pins off the service tool
(which I don't have -- I used a very stout oil filter compression
wrench wrapped around a segment of old timing belt instead and almost
broke it.) I wound up popping it free using a torque arm of about 4
ft. and almost all my might. This was entirely unnecessary...if the
assembler has put some anti-seize on the bolt.

The pump came off according to plan. But the problems began when I
went to remove the thermostat assembly. Pop, pop, pop...3 out of 4 of
the bolt heads sheared off during removal. I am NOT a heavy handed
mechanic...nor would they have broken had they been fitted with
anti-seize compound. Fortunately, I had some similar hardware in my
parts box and the broken studs were in the old pump...no big deal.

Along with the water pump, I also bought a new thermostat as my car
runs way too cold on cool days (about 135 - 140.) So I took the
assembly that sits atop the water pump to my bench and began to remove
the thermostat. Pop, pop...2 out 3 bolts sheared away at the top while
the 3rd chose to do so deep inside the assembly. Once again, had this
been assembled with...you get the point. Fortunately, my parts car's
assembly came away without breaking the bolts.

Ok, enough about that.

My question is this: how freely -- if at all -- should the tensioner's
pulley turn when no belt is fitted? Mine seems a bit stiff...it
requires more effort to turn than the distributor drive pulley (with
distributor removed.) Is this right?

Lastly, this appears to be the number forged on my cams: 119
00.05200.25 -- does anyone know of this is stock for the GTV6 2.5?

Thanks for putting up with my frustrated post,

- - Eric Hambleton, Clearwater, FL