debugging the L-Jet

New behaviors... When starting from cold, I find that the engine takes a
little throttle to fire and then runs very roughly and slowly for just a
moment before settling into a clean idle. Similar behavior when warm but
briefer. Also, when it's good and hot, the idle will sometimes oscillate
gently over a range of about 250 rpm and period of about 5-8 seconds.

Reviewing the manual and the Bosch injection book, this seems to me to be
the auxiliary air device: either it's got a leak or the motor controlling
the valve is getting funky.

What do you think? It's easy enough to replace it but I would rather not
spend the money for another gizmo if it's not the problem...

Godfrey