"inacurate manual done for "dumb" (read normal) people ;-)"

Having read Alan Lambert's post on his rear brake pad replacement, Paulo
Ascensao's amplification of how to read a manual, and Alan's reply I,
curious, pulled out my hardcopy 164 manual, which was ARDONA issue to
mechanics attending their training school.

On page 23 of section 22, above the passage Alan Lambert quoted there are
three steps:

BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT
1. Remove rear wheel.
2. Remove securing screws and brake caliper
3. Replace brake pads.

Then it says:
NOTE: Prior to position the new brake pads press manually on caliper piston
until fully in, then start the engine and press brake pedal several times to
restore automatic slack take-up of parking brake; subsequently, adjust
parking brake acting on the control lever.

This followed twenty pages on front brakes, disks, calipers, master, servo,
bleeding etc but nothing which alters what Alan read. It then goes on to the
load proportioning valve, parking brake, cables, etc but again nothing which
amplifies.

Wonder if Paulo Ascensao has the manual, read it, read different steps not in
my manual or on Alan's CD. If a later factory shop manual is appreciably
improved, it would be nice to have an update.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.