Re: alfa-digest V7 #778 - Track Tires

In a message dated 6/3/99 5:31:54 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<=20
 Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 18:34 -0700 (PDT)
 From: djbender@domain.elided
 Subject: track tires
      =20
      I bought a set of Yokohama A008R tires for my 74 GTV used at a swap=20
      meet a couple of years ago.  A tremendous bargain.  They have lasted=20
      through about 4 events.  But during my timed laps at Willow Springs=20
      they seemed to be starting to go away...unfortunately this was right=20
      at the end of the weekend so I couldn't be sure.
     =20
      Anyway I think i am in the market for a replacement set.  I notice in=20
      the Tire Rack ad they do not list A008R tires  anymore...just A008RS. =20
      Does anyone know for sure whether A008R's have been discontinued?
     =20
      A couple of notes I picked up during the time trial weekend.  My=20
      friend Art Russell bought a set of Goodyear G-Force tires at the=20
      beginning of the year.  These are supposed to be the latest thing.  He=20
      was pretty happy with them but they wore out during the weekend, after=20
      three events.  His friend wore a pair out in one event.  So they seem=20
      to be a little on the soft side.
     =20
      Someone else told me the A008RS tires also wear rather fast.
     =20
      Of course, there is a tradeoff...if they grip well they won't last=20
      long.  But I'd like something that is good for say 5 events or so.  I=20
      had some A032 tires on my GTV6 for 3 or 4 events and they still look=20
      pretty good.  But I think the old-fashioned A008R's grip better.
     =20
      Right now, unless someone has a better idea, if I can't find any new=20
      A008R's I will probably go to A032's.
     =20
      Doug Bender

=09Based on what Showroom Stock and Improved Touring drivers are using=20
at SCCA races, both Bridgestone and Yokohama are no longer in the race tire=20
business.  Or they just quit offering contingency money, which amounts to th=
e=20
same thing.
=09The current three brands of tires seem to be BF Goodrich, Toyo and=20
Kuhmo.  Goodrich wanted $145 per each for 205-55-14 tires, even after I=20
joined Team TA.  I ended up buying Khumos for $115 per each, shaved and=20
delivered.  I ordered them from C.U.T. Tire (888) 775-8646 or (888) 77 KUHMO=
.
=09A friend is running Yokohama A032's on his 74 Spider.  He swears by=20
them for the street, but is running slicks on his race car.  I will have to=20
say the tread pattern in unique.  Dunno how they perform on the track.
=09Hyperlinks and web sites follow.  Dunno how hyperlinks will come=20
through on Alfa Digest.

 <A HREF=3D"http://www.4tires.com/";>4Tires -- a guide to tires from=20
4anything.com
</A>=20