embarassed by drivers like me

Tonight I drove my 1992 Spider Veloce home from the supermarket. I've had
intermediate problems with the dashboard lighting. Tonight the dashboard
lights wouldn't come on. I flicked from off to standby to headlights and
back several times. Finally the dashboard was illuminated and I drove off
not realizing that I was driving on standby lights, not headlights (besides
that the right standby light bulb was burnt out). I hate to be honked at....
In the car port I not only realized that the front right standby light was
dead but that if the dashboard lighting is dead, the standby lights don't
work either unless I manage to get the headlights going. Is this a
"Johnny's Disco" syndrome or a serious concern about driving my vehicle at
night???

Martin
1992 Spider Veloce