Re: Snow birds, plows

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Ferdinando Di Matteo wrote:

> The trick is not to reduce the diameter of the tire for snow going, but to
> reduce the size to the narrowist you can get and stay with 15 inch wheels.
> Worked fine for me in Maine and Massachusetts.  Fred Di Matteo

Thanks.  We sunshine boys may come-up with some cogent suggestions for the
frozen Northland.....

I know diameter |per se| has little to do with it, but the GTV6 wheel is
6J, while the Milano 14" wheel is 5.5J, and Haynes gives 5.5 for the width
of the Alfetta wheel.  Presumably the ubiquitous 185/70 - 14 will fit
nicely, while I don't know that narrow 15" tires are readily available to
fit the 6Jx15 rim.  A second set of snow-tire rims is often used
(undesirable rims may be cheap in comparison with a number of tire
changes), and the steel Milano rims should be available cheap.  There is a
small difference in cross-section meeting the snow, in addition.  (Let's
face it -- under adverse conditions, there is also a heightened risk of
damaging fancy alloy wheels.)

r.m.bies