Re: Last word on cam de-tensioners (hopefully :)

<<
Just finished rebuilding my oil fed de-tensioner on the Alfa 90, and I must
say, it's an intersting piece of work.
I had more troubles getting the belt back on than the rebuild, but I think
that was due to not having the right tool to hold the de-tensioner locked in
position.

Anyway, after I was finished, I turned the motor fowards and backwards from
the crank pulley (the only way to turn the motor IMHO), and I must agree
with Godfrey. There is no reason for the belt to slip, if it's the correct
tension. I have done numorous fiats and ducatis with cam belt drives. If the
belt slips, the belt is not tight enough. And you must turn the engine from
the crank, as that's where the turning is performed when the engine is
running.

Sorry,

You are talking about the wrong tensioner. It is the mechanical tensioner
that has a problem with the engine going backwards. My view on the mechanical
tensioner is that when it is turned backwards the tension is released and the
belt is loosened.

John Katos