Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 5/30/99 10:41:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Jay Mackro <jmackro@domain.elided>
 Subject: re radiator cleaning/painting

 JMNegrin@domain.elided had written:

 >My recommendation is to pull the radiator, and bring it to the pros.  They
 >will hot-tank it, which breaks up a lot of sediment and accumulated crud.
 >They will also pressure back-flush, which removes yet more crud.  Before
you
 >get it back, they can/should check for overall condition of the radiator,
 >pressure check for leaks, and maybe even spray a light coat of black paint
on
 >it to make it look good.

 Yes, I agree 100%.  Having a radiator serviced has to be one of the
 few automotive bargains left.  And, one of the rare instances where
 the owners of imported cars don't pay a huge premium over the people
 who are having their Fords/Chevies serviced.  If you suspect your
 radiator at all, or live in an area with hard water and suspect that
 the P.O. had been using tap water (of course, YOU wouldn't do
 something that foolish), then have it serviced as JMNegrin@domain.elided
 advises.

 OK, so here's my question: Whenever you have this service done, the
 radiator shop always puts a coat of black spray paint on the radiator.
 Usually they do a lousey job (from a cosmetic viewpoint), the paint
 is still tacky when you pick it up, ...  But, what I REALLY wonder
 is how much cooling efficiency is lost due to putting a coat of
 paint - ie, an insulator - over the radiator.  It isn't as if a
 brass radiator is going to rust or anything.  Other than asthetics -
 which givent he quality of most of these paintjobs is questionable -
 is there any benefit in painting a newly-cleaned radiator?

 Jay Mackro