The Great 164L/164S Debate....or something like that

This is my longest novel yet, please bear with me.

Ok, with all this talk about gearing and top speeds and what not in 164's I
just had to throw my thoughts out there.  Remember, I'm not flaming, going
off, or anything like that.  Just offering what I've experienced.

So some people seem to think the 164S is fake and just a boy racer wanna be
or something?  Maybe Alfa copied E30 M3 styling?  Whatever.  I love the
looks of the S, and so does every other car freak and non-freak that's
drooled over my 164S (dang, easy on the finish!).  I thought I had read
somewhere the S had a lower coefficient drag, would this not result in
improved high speed runs?

Taken from The 164 page / Alfa's 1991 product bulletin:
The re-styling of the S version, besides giving the vehicle an exclusive
sporting Line, improves its aerodynamic and road holding characteristics at
high speeds.
Penetration coefficient: Cx 0.305 (Cx 0.300 on S versions)
So anyway, this boy racer stuff seems to actually make somewhat of a
difference?  The air dam is larger on the S, improving high speed stability
as well, correct?
Ok, enough about looks & body parts, let's talk about acceleration.  This is
more directed to those who live in The States where are freeways are clogged
with minivans, SUV's & too much restriction (speed limits & curves).
Gearing.  I haven't driven an L but if it's like comparing an older GTV6 to
a later model there is no comparison.  The later shorter geared version is
much better suited to life in the States.  Why?  When I took a road trip to
Montana (during the autobahn speed limit days) in my '82 GTV6, I was itching
for quicker acceleration.  Something more like the 2.5L Milanos (I owned one
of those great Alfas).   I've seen a few ticks over 140 in S so far, but had
to slow because of traffic.  It has pulled an indicated 140+ up a slight
grade no problem.  I'm quite happy with the gearing, as I'm not privileged
enough to live somewhere and enjoy cruising constantly over 80, 90, or
100mph w/o attracting the attn of the nearest State Patrol.  With our cheap
gas I can afford to drive my 3.0L V6 anytime I want (sorry Euro brethren,
had to!)  So getting up to cruising speed as fast as possible is the next
best thing, to me.  The S gearing allows for rapid acceleration with just a
dip of the pedal.  A few hundred rpm's higher while cruising is not a big
deal, especially with such a rev happy motor.  Oh I guess it doesn't hurt
that I have a 'free flow' cat :)  The K&N goes in tonight.
Horsepower.  Would the extra hp in the S not come in to play at high speeds
where it's needed most?  Seems like it would.
I don't remember what rpm's I do at what speed in which gear but I'll record
the numbers if someone really, really has to know.  Maybe I'll bring a point
& clicker & passenger for a snapshot of the gauges.
Oh, I almost forgot handling!  Auto & Sport mode, too cool!  I can go from
comfort to super handling in a millisecond.  With over 107k on the odo there
are no problems to report.  You have to install Konis & aftermarket springs
in the Base, L & LS for improved handling, resulting in a firm ride around
town (not fun on Seattle's pathetic streets).
I guess that's enough from me for now, I may upset someone already.  Hope
not!  So enjoy your weekend everyone.  I'm glad I don't have to travel I-5
through north Seattle today as there's a mad man running around the freeway
shooting people.  A cop & civilian have been shot already, so the radio
reports.  Too bad :(

Laters,
Zach  - Redmond, WA
'91 164S , '76 Alfetta GT project track toy