touch up paint

 In AD7-760 Kevin Xpertcool asks whether anyone out there knows where those
neat little jars of touch-up paint matched to the car's color can still be
found.

The touch-up paint was a standard Alfa part, with an Alfa part number, and
you should be able to order it from any Alfa dealer. In the mid-eighties the
format for the part number was 10000.90XXX.0000, where XXX was replaced with
the three-digit AR color codes; AR 842 bronze metallic 10000.90842.0000, AR
103 ivory 10000.90103.0000, AR 219 racing green 10000.90219.0000 and so
forth. Of course Fiat threw out the Alfa part numbering system in favor of
Fiat's numbering which has a different logic, if any; the AR 776 of my wife's
164 has a touch-up paint part number 0060707925, but the dealer should be
able to convert an Alfa-system part number to a Fiat number.

If no luck with a USA dealer, I would try the UK or a continental source;
postage on a one-ounce tube of touch-up paint should not be a problem.

Several people in the past have suggested finger-nail polish; lacquer, widely
available in many shades, in small quantities. Probably easier with reds than
other colors, but these days who knows? Nobody in MY family, fer sure.

John H.