Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:27:43 +1200
From: "Matthew Dooher" <matthew.dooher@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 Tensioner Replacement

The first job was to replace the cam hub O-rings. I followed the detailed
instructions provided by Karl Maxon to do this job. I also made use of
detailed pictures and measurements provided by him to create a puller and a
cam pulley holding tool. The job was so very easy. I can't believe I put up
with leaking seals for so long. Leaving the old cam belt on at this stage
and having the engine at TDC meant that I would know if I made any mistakes
or slipped a tooth etc. The only mistake I made was to take off both hubs at
the same time. By doing this when you attempt to undo the other hub nut the
cam belt moves a little and of course the pulley on the first shaft is free
to turn because it is no longer keyed to the shaft. To put it another way,
the free cam shaft stays where it is and the one you are working on rotates
as does the crank shaft.