Re:164 L v S, can you imagine? #751

> Properly designed cars will pull their maximum rpm in top gear, which
> should also equate to the maximum attainable speed for that particular
> vehicle, that's the way to set up a gearbox. Then the gear ratios should be
> spread so as to achieve progressive and efficient acceleration over the
> entire useable torque curve for the engine. The S does neither, sacrificing
> elegance for stop light GP's, which North American's equate to performance.

While I am going to agree with most of the comments of this post, I do
disagree with this core statement.  <For street use>, I would suggest that
the gearing should put the engine at a relativly low, quiet, rpm in the
anticipated cruising range.

While most of my driving is around town at speeds such that this
consideration does not apply, the other use is in hours long trips at
freeway speeds.  In the latter mode, a constantly buzzing engine at high
rpm is a fatigueing factor.  The standard gearing of the GTV6 (outside
'83) is a little low in top gear.

r.m.bies