Front Lower A arm bushings

I was going to replace the front lower A arm bushings on my '74 gtv, but
after discovering that they are $25+ each (four required), I'm starting to
rethink things a bit.

First, what is so special about these bushings that they cost so much?

Second, I am getting a little front end shake (if I let go of the steering
wheel on the highway, or under very heavy braking).  Upper arms have been
replaced as have the castor arm bushings and all tie rod ends.  Lower ball
joints look okay.  Wheel bearings are okay.  The wheels feel tight, with no
play.  I haven't checked the rotors yet, but they seem to be a likely culpret
for the brake shake, but not going down the road.  The alignment is set to
~1/4" toe out (at the tire), so that is also a possiblility.  Comments?
Suggestions?

bob brady, dvaroc
yardley, pa