how did the italian get this bad wrap?

::As I've said to my buddy with the BMW motorcycle dealership: "How come
on my ::supposedly unreliable Italian motorcycles, the only parts I seem
to be constantly ::replacing are the Bosch electrical parts that are
German made?"

Same for my 92 164L, the only things I have had problem with is the
Chrysler radio (American), and a few of the Bosch electrics, (stepper
motor, switches, ect.).  I always get the "why did you by a Alfa" speech
from every body I know (at least the people who know what an Alfa is).
Even the all the Italian people I know tell me that Alfa is crap.  I
even talk to some of the old timers down in little Italy (San Diego) and
told me the same thing (they all drive Linconds and Caddy's, yeah real
reliability!).  So where did this horrible Alfa stereotype come from,
were the old Alfas junk?, or was it the 80's (that was a bad time for
all car makers)?
	On another note, why don't the Italian motorcycle makers use
Ducati electrics anymore.  My Vespa has Ducati electrics in it and has
never had a problem.

Thanks,
Scott in San Diego
92 162L (still going)
7? Vespa P210 kitted (almost together)
79 Honda Twinstar 200 (un-reliable?, no. boring?, yes.)