re: 164x Wanted

Lawrence Gowin wrote...
> I want a 164, but I don't know which one.  Is the performance difference
> very big between the L and the S?

   No.  I would wager most people would not even notice it.  All else
being *roughly* equal, an L was about 1 second slower than an S on roughly
95 second laps.  The S has a little more power, and is geared lower.  The
L should have a higher top speed, not that you should need it.  The S has
a quicker steering ratio, IIRC.  Brakes are the same, AFAIK.

   For the premium you'll probably have to pay for a nice S, you could buy
an nice L, and make it just as fast or faster, but without the body work.

> What about the performance chips that are available?

   Somewhere in the archives of this Digest, or on Colin Verrilli's 164
Page, you should find my review of the chip I got from that dealer near
Philadelphia, whose name escapes me right now.  It was only noticable
above 4500 RPM or so, but I found it worth the $200 and crawling under the
dash.

> Is the electronic suspension something to be wary of?

   Only when it breaks ;)  New struts are, I believe, virtually
unobtainable, and expensive to boot.

> I've looked at the 164 sites on the Alfa Web Ring, but some of the
> information seems contradictory.

   Probably because some people compare it to a GTV, and some to a Camry.

> Anyways, I'm looking for a car with leather, manual trans, and all the
> creature comforts (cupholders not required).  There's a broad price
> band. I've seen early 164Ls for $5000US and for $15k more, there was a
> 94Q posted last week.  I want a good balance of performance and
> complexity.  I hate to say it, but I'm a little afraid of the later
> cars.  It seems like there's more to break.  Opinions?  Thanks in
> advance.

   I think there is only one way to buy a 164 now.  Determine the options
you must have ( transmission, interior, S, LS, Q, base, or L are really
your only choices ), and then buy the best example you can find.  IMHO,
don't bother with a rough car, unless you intend to keep it that way, and
drive it into the ground.  Not that I endorse that either.

   In case you haven't already found it, 'Always Looking For Another' at
http://planet-torque.com/alfa/looking.html will probably be helpful.

   Hope that helps, please let me know if I can help more.

- --
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 scscc, nma, scca, imoc

End of alfa-digest V7 #744