Re: Labor to R/R Tranny Mounts

In message , CaptWSims@domain.elided writes
>I have too many car projects going at the same time to get them all done
>myself, so I took my Verde in to a local Alfa shop this week because the
>drivetrain has a clunk and looseness when accelerating/shifting.  It was no
>surprise when the passenger side mount was found broken.  The shop says the
>driver side (LHD car) front mount is on its last legs, which is also no
>surprise...the surprise to me is that the shop says the rear mount is shot
>(1.5 hrs. labor), and the DeDion bushing is suspect, and the estimate is just
>over $500 (USD) for parts and labor.   Considering this shop (in Virginia
>Beach, Virginia) had replaced a rear wheel bearing for 1/2 the cost it had
>been in Maryland for the other rear wheel, I was surprised at the high
>estimate...I thought that the front tranny mounts on a GTV-6/Milano were
>pretty darn easy to R&R: just drop the exhaust, remove the 6 bolts holding
>the front cross-brace, let the front of the tranny angle down,then the mounts
>are right there, easy to replace....I'm thinking back on a few years ago when
>I repaired the clutch on a GTV-6, so my memory might be fuzzy.
the fronts are a pain to replace as it is very fiddly working in there.
You have to take off the deDion mounting as well, as the transmission
mounts are fitted to that, not the car body. This is an exhaust out job,
plus driveshaft disconnection, plus clutch hose if you arent lucky.
Sounds like a fair price, based on UK prices for labour. (35GBP per)
- --
jonathan coates