Handbrake turns

     Fred Werner asked about handbrake turns:

     Years ago, when I was autocrossing an MG Midget, I used the handbrake
     trick for tossing the back end out going into a turn. This stopped the
     rear wheels, allowing easy entry to 1st gear (non-synchro box), and
     full power exiting the turn.
     Some "gotchas" tho:
     1. The MG had drum rear brakes, that were designed to help stop the
     car, whereas the Spider's rear brakes are designed to hold a parked
     car in position. they may not have the strength to lock the rear
     wheels. Also, the MG ran on 155-13 Pirellis, NOT some W I D E low
     profile rubber that sticks like glue. ( I run 205-60x14 Yokos on my
     Spider.)
     2. I designed a little clamp to hold the handbrake release button in
     the released position. No desire to have the brake lock in the "ON"
     position! The MG brake handle has a lip on the top that the Spider
     does not have. This made the clamp an easy device to use. You might
     try duct tape.
     3. It took a little bit of trial and error to figure how much to use
     the brake; you want the front end to grip, and the rear to slide. This
     allows the oversteer you need to make a quick change of direction. You
     need to: a) brake for the turn, b) throw in the clutch, c) turn the
     wheel to get the car set up for the ensuing slide, d) jerk on the
     brake handle, e) downshift and then f) release the clutch at the
     appropriate time, ie, when the car is pointed almost where you want it
     to go.

     The wheels are sliding sideways, so you're dealing with dynamic
     friction, so when you pop the clutch it is easy to spin the wheels,
     which in an underpowered car is desirable for getting more power out
     of the engine (ie, higher revs). The whole procedure is done almost as
     one continuous motion. It does take practice to carefully orchestrate
     the whole process. (Hope I didn't leave anything out!)

     In the Alfa, my concern would be the strength of the handbrake
     assembly, and the eveness of the braking action from side to side. The
     cable must be adjusted very well. A cable that breaks at the wrong
     time would not be desirable. PS: Don't try this on the street!
     Good luck,
     Len