Chassis stiffener (controversial and longish)

John H Wrote:

<<snip>>(2) The Ereminas chassis stiffener might or might not have been a
patentable
idea, (or economically patentable, which is effectively the same thing) but
it did take an investment of thought and time and money for Don to develop
and market the original. Patents and copyrights offer very limited
protection
against knock-offs, unless the patentee has a big bank-roll for lawyers.
Unless some appreciable portion of the market feels an ethical obligation to

support the innovators rather than the "reverse engineers", innovation is a
fool's game. Count me with Brian Shorey on that issue, and I thank Brian for

speaking up. If the original design was mediocre, and someone wants to
market
an appreciably better product, fine, but the recent promotion of the copy
was
primarily we-can-do-a-copy-cheaper and, oh, incidentally, we will make it
better where we can. This is a little like the question of supporting the
digest, or taking a free ride. I am glad we have people like Richard Welty,
glad we have people like Don Ereminas, and glad we have some people who will

support some values beyond their own wallets.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

I could hold my comments no longer.  I have discussed this point off line
with a few Digesters, because I hate when this kind of crap gets out of hand
on the Digest, and soon everyone is talking about Guns, politics, or some
other subject having no bearing on Alfa ownership.  Alas I succumb and
contribute to the wasted band with.

My $0.02:  I completely understand the point that Brian Shorey and John
Hertzman  are making here- please understand this is not a flame.  Lets be
realistic.  In the first place, don't all of the other Alfa mail-order
houses offer the same thing? ( a copy of the Ereminas Original)  Should we
persecute them for offering a chassis stiffener as well?  Or any other
aftermarket house for offering OEM spec parts at a better price.  Copying is
huge business in the automotive industry.  Why berate a fellow digester for
trying to help others out or those purchasing one as free loaders.  ( I
always thought they were over priced anyway!)  I'm sure he's not doing it
for the money at $200.00 a pop!  What we have here is a fellow digester that
offered his services/ abilities much as we all do to help each other out.
I'm sure he is making a small profit on the deal, but he should for the
effort.

My last point:  I take exception to being called a free loader for
purchasing a chassis stiffener from a fellow digester, and yes I did
contribute to the Welty Fund.  I think we should be thankful, not critical,
of anyone that helps our cars run better.  It's basic economic theory, yes
I'm a finance/economics guy.   You buy the best product you can for the
lowest money, do otherwise and the stock market and our economic system
collapses (much needed comic relief).

Lets relax a bit and enjoy the ride.  Is it warm in here?  Must be flames on
the way :~)

- -Oscar Perez- Looking forward to a stiffer ride!
91 Spider

End of alfa-digest V7 #724