Gas in oil question for Chemical Engineers

I have encountered this gas in oil situation while working on various
European cars most notably a certain un-named 4cyl air cooled German
"peoples car".  In that instance it seems the fuel pump diaphragm can
develop a hole or crack allowing fuel to be introduced to the
crankcase.  While I was working as a mechanic there was a popular belief
that under the right conditions, high or operating temperatures, this
gasoline/oil combination was more succeptible to boil off or evaporate,
lowering the diluted lubrication level in the sump.  I have no idea
whether this is a reasonable concept or not.  Gasoline does disappear
when exposed to the atmosphere or to heat, but is it capable of
affecting oil as well when combined with it?  How about it?  I know we
have metallurgists out there...  Any chemical or petroleum engineers?

Anyone on the digest ever broken an Alfa connecting rod, sintered, cast,
forged or otherwise?  I figured somebody had to ask.

Al Fista