Installing a steering wheel-- PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello all,
      Replacing the worn leather steering wheel in my 86 Spider Quad with a
WOODEN one from an 84.  I have never done a steering wheel before.  I got the
big MM nut off (Home Depot).  I got the old one off with a loaner puller from
Auto Zone.  I reengineered the horn connection with parts from my 86 wheel.
Now, if I could just figure out how to remount the wheel, using the little
key/spline to lock it.  Do you install the spline in the column by pressing
the collar down and then, push the wheel on?  Do you put the spline in the
slot in the wheel and somehow push it on?  Is there a tool I need and don't
know about?  Please be very explicit in your instructions on how to do this.
I might get your reply faster if you sent it direct to Phantomofo@domain.elided.
PLEASE help.
Best,
Ralph Fox